13 Jul 18 Further paint stripping experiments

Today I re-stripped an area of the rear hatch which I had previously stripped of paint. The aim of the experiment was to see if I could get more of the original paint to budge. I used Nitromors paint stripper to remove the etch primer that I had put on when I first paint-stripped the area. I confined myself to a corner of the hatch, on the underside.

The primer came off easily, but when I used the stripper again on the original substrate, the Nitromors did nothing, just make its usual sticky mess.

The pictures below show the area stripped today compared to an area of primer which I have rubbed down in an attempt to improve the finish. In order to complete this experiment, I am going to strip the top of the hatch and then spray the whole lot to see what quality of finish I can achieve. The reason for concentrating on the underside was to tackle the most difficult bit first, and so it has proved to be. I don’t think I will be able to conclude whether to tackle any more panels until I have finished the hatch. I do feel a bit disheartened as the underside of the panel has been a real pain so far, and I thought it would be easier. Ultimately if I cannot get a good finish myself, I will need to look at other options, including soda-blasting.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s